compiling flex to work with tamarin

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Wed Jun 22 15:10:17 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 5:58 PM, snacktime <snacktime at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to build the flex compiler so it can compile bytecode
> that the current tamarin can run?  I tried replacing the asc source
> that comes with flex with the one that works with tamarin, but that
> didn't seem to work, although I could have done it wrong.

How didn't it work?

I downloaded the Flex SDK zipfile from the page:

  java -jar lib/asc.jar -import ~/tamarin-redux/generated/builtin.abc ./foo.as

Works for me.

> I'm using flashbuilder with a builtin.swc and shell_toplevel.swc I
> created, and that all works I get ide completion and it compiles.

Tamarin is not the Flash Player and won't provide native versions of
the classes in shell_toplevel.swc

> But it won't run under tamarin.

Why not?

> Using asc.jar to compile large projects
> is kind of a pain, if I could get a build of flex that works with
> tamarin I'd be a happy camper.
>

> Also, anyone know why flex 4+ creates swc's with a reference to
> Sprite?  Personally I think the open source version of flex should at
> least have an option to turn that off.

SWCs contain a SWF. Tamarin cannot run SWFs.