ASC parsing bug?

Mike Shaver mike.shaver at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 15:40:01 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 6:32 PM, Steven Johnson <stejohns at adobe.com> wrote:
> Having a tool like ASC try to guess the proper encoding sounds like a recipe
> for long-term pain to me. (Hey, browser guys, how much fun is it to guess
> the encoding of poorly-marked HTML? :-)

I'm going to be nice and pretend you didn't ask.

> IMHO, if the encoding isn't either (1) explicitly specified, or (2)
> absolutely clear from a BOM, ASC should fail.

I think that is too harsh on the most common case: ASCII without BOM
or other adornments.  A default of UTF-8 seems pretty reasonable, and
I don't believe that UTF-8 requires a BOM since bytes are considered
individually?

If you want anything other than UTF-8, you should say so with an
explicit argument.

Mike