ASC parsing bug?

Steven Johnson stejohns at adobe.com
Mon Jun 16 15:32:56 PDT 2008

Having a tool like ASC try to guess the proper encoding sounds like a recipe
for long-term pain to me. (Hey, browser guys, how much fun is it to guess
the encoding of poorly-marked HTML? :-)

IMHO, if the encoding isn't either (1) explicitly specified, or (2)
absolutely clear from a BOM, ASC should fail.

Perhaps we could tell ASC: "if no BOM specified, assume encoding=XXX"