ASC parsing bug?

Mike Shaver mike.shaver at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 15:01:26 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Michael Daumling <mdaeumli at adobe.com> wrote:
> If possible, asc should IMHO assume UTF-8, and if UTF-8 decoding fails, retry with the default system encoding (a.k.a CP-1252 on English Windows).

I think that would be confusing behaviour, since ASC would work fine
compiling a file on one system, but the same ASC invocation method
might fail on another machine (with different default system
encoding).

I think it should probably take UTF-8 by default, and provide an
explicit command-line argument for using a different encoding instead.
 Maybe there are historic compatibility needs that prevent that,
though...

Mike