Minutes from Sept 12 Mobile Tech Leads meeting

Nicholas Alexander nalexander at mozilla.com
Fri Sep 14 23:03:58 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

We held a Mobile Tech Leads meeting on Tuesday (NA/EU timezones).  My
opinionated summary of the discussion
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/13ZqcDtmedjAykVveOlZSFYP5tWi2i6G5dCzUuHEBY0U/edit#heading=h.xpzknehta7l2>
:

   1. Nobody has a technical path to a standalone Necko library that is
   small enough to ship to non-GeckoView consumers (say, <3mb on Android).
   2. snorp and nalexander have ideas about how to enable GeckoView
   consumers to use Necko for non-browser REST-y requests and want to pursue
   those ideas.  snorp will focus on Java/Kotlin consumers; nalexander will
   focus on Rust consumers.
   3. We will soon want to ship multiple Rust components (say, Firefox
   Accounts and Sync 1.5 logins) to a single consumes (say, Lockbox for
   Android).  That means we need to work out how to ship a single shared Rust
   native code binary that integrates with the Android Components (and
   consumer!) workflow.  nalexander took an action item to draft a strawman of
   how we might do this.

As always, please correct my summary (attendees) and ask questions or
comment (others).

Best,
Nick