(Reducing) Mentat Binary Size

Thom Chiovoloni tchiovoloni at mozilla.com
Wed Jun 27 06:08:39 UTC 2018


So, it came up in the Sync.Next meeting today that we're a bit concerned
about the mentat binary size, and don't know where it comes from, etc. My
completely unfounded suspicion has been that there are some easy wins here.
So I decided to see if this is true. (I'm sending this to the sync-dev
mailing list even though it's clearly the wrong place mostly because it
would get completely lost if I just posted it in the slack channel, and it
seems plausible that someone might want to refer to it later).

I decided to test using the mentat-cli binary, built for a 64-bit mac.
Because that's the platform I use, and because binaries are a lot easier to
do measurements on than libraries. Especially when we do LTO, which we do,
also, on binaries you can actually `strip` them without reading a bunch of
manpages on what flags to pass `strip` [0].

Anyway, the baseline on my machine for mentat_cli is 9539784 bytes
(9.5MBish), after running `strip` it shrinks to 7855608 bytes.

First step is changing the optimization level to one that is set to
optimize for size. There are two of these, opt-level "s" and "z", opt-level
"z" being the more substantial. This shrunk the binary to 9114776 bytes,
5352264 after strip.

The next idea I had is that a lot of the libraries we import seem to
involve networking. The only network code we have is in `tolstoy`, which is
very experimental and not something we're planning on using in production.
Moving this to live under a `feature` flag reduces our size to 7396480
bytes, 4571776 bytes after strip.

I also noticed a few libraries that had multiple versions built.
Specifically `regex` seems like it might be heavy (at the very least, it
has dependent crates), and we're building both 0.2 and 1.0.1 (the former is
specified by mentat_query_sql, and the latter by env_logger). Moving both
of these to be 1.0.1 brings the size down to 6565472 bytes, 4036968 after
strip.

(Worth noting that regex is a transitive dependency from `env_logger`,
which I suspect we aren't thrilled with, and the use of it inside
mentat_query_sql could probably be trivially rewritten
<https://github.com/mozilla/mentat/blob/master/query-sql/src/lib.rs#L567>
to avoid the dependency.)

There are probably other targets for this (the `memchr` lib seems to be
included twice, but while I've done exactly no checking, my gut says it
doesn't have the same heft as `regex`).

There are two [1] more things I tried.

It seems likely for various reasons that we will have to build mentat with
panic="abort" when distributing an FFI binary. This is mainly because it's
undefined behavior to `panic` across FFI boundaries, which basically means
arbitrarily bad things can happen (see [2] below on some hedging on this,
but I really don't know what other options we have here). Doing this
reduced the size to 5357500 bytes, 3484324 bytes after stripping.

Finally, I tried replacing jemalloc with the system allocator. This shaved
off less than I was expecting, but not nothing. End result was 5097456
bytes, 3293640 after stripping.

This is under half the size we started with (for the stripped library, it's
a bit over half unstripped, but who needs debug symbols?). At this point
I'm giving up. It's kind of late and I've had a few beers, and I think I've
hit most of the low hanging fruit. You can stare at this work here
<https://github.com/thomcc/mentat/tree/shrink-binary> if you have a burning
need to, some of it is probably worth PRing too! I'll do that tomorrow.

- Thom

[0] These last two comments are probably the cause of some of our confusion
here, and the first might make this work not terribly representative,
although I'd be surprised if many of the changes that saved size don't do
the same for a library -- given that we intend to ship as a static or
dynamic libraries (e.g. we distribute native code libraries that might not
always get benefits from LTO), it's possible that our strategy of 'put
everything in separate crates and rely on LTO to sort it out for us' might
not be so great. That also could be wrong!

[1] Actually, I tried more but most didn't really work. Like hackily
removing our dependency on `num`, which seems to exist primarily so we can
use bigint, which we don't fully implement. This only shaved off about 10k,
but I guess that's not too surprising since we aren't doing any arithmetic
with the bigints.

[2] While some libraries are able to avoid this using
`std::panic::catch_unwind`, rusqlite doesn't support this due to use of
Cell and RefCell. Neither does `sync15_adapter` (although I'll likely fix
this, as we should actually be unwind-safe). In the long term, it's not
clear to me that we want `panic = abort` behavior, although from what I can
tell, most of mentat was written with a pattern like this in mind (I could
be wrong).

So, compiling with panic = "abort" is probably what we'll want to do in the
short term, *maybe* what we'll want to do in the long term, and should
result in a substantial space saving (no libbacktrace, no code bloat from
landing pads, etc), so even though it's possible that it's not great for
building something robust, I tried it.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/sync-dev/attachments/20180626/820460e1/attachment.html>


More information about the Sync-dev mailing list