Question on Mozilla support for self-hosting

James Sundquist sundquistjames at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 22:47:08 UTC 2018

Hi Mark,

Just want to follow up with you.  I would love to see better support from
Mozilla for selfhosters.  I am genuinely interested in Mozilla as a pioneer
for freedom and privacy, even from their own services.  I know your time is
valuable, and I’m continuing to ask others for their opinions.  This is
what I’ve understood.

- Those who want an easy to install, well documented solution do not rely
on Sync 1.5
- [Sync 1.1 was absolutely one of the most popular selfhosted, easy to
install apps used in Owncloud for years, requiring users simply install a
package from the Owncloud app store with a single click.](
https://github.com/owncloudarchive/mozilla_sync)
- Selfhosted users on Nextcloud and Owncloud still use Sync 1.1 with the
Palemoon firefox fork to maintain this simple experience, despite no
support from Mozilla.
- Sync 1.5 documentation is terrible or non-existent
- Sync 1.5 is too difficult to install, with some snap packages available,
but others not packaged at all.
- Sync 1.5 is too resource intensive for some to want to install on their
servers.
- [Sync 1.5 breaks authentication in Nextcloud Floccus bookmarks extension,
probably the most popular selfhosted Bookmarks solution in 2018, and is no
longer encouraged at all by Nextcloud Bookmark devs as of March 2018(
https://github.com/marcelklehr/floccus/issues/47)
To quote the Floccus readme on github:
> Historically this was once possible using the mozilla sync app
<https://github.com/owncloudarchive/mozilla_sync>. However, it's not very
easy anymore <https://github.com/owncloudarchive/mozilla_sync/issues/33> to
run your own sync server and it still would only work with firefox.
- Nextcloud Bookmarks would love API support for tags when syncing data
from the Firefox browser.

There is a lot of FUD, but it makes sense that Mozilla would care about
such things more than any browser in existence.