Self-hosted services.sync.clusterURL being overwritten

Richard Newman rnewman at mozilla.com
Mon Aug 3 20:19:00 UTC 2015

I think you might be misunderstanding clusterURL, Andrew.

clusterURL is the final server that Sync talks to. It's never been a
configurable option; it's derived from protocol interactions with auth
servers.

In old Sync, there was 'serverURL' (where you went to get a node
assignment) and 'clusterURL' (your node assignment). If node assignment
failed because you were running a one-box self-host, clusterURL ==
serverURL as a fallback.

In FxA Sync, your server assignment is always decided by the token server;
it's called the "endpoint". You control where you sync by choosing the
token server, not by imposing a server assignment.

If you're hosting your own token server, set identity.sync.tokenserver_uri,
and make sure the token server hands out the right cluster URL.

If you're not hosting your own token server, then you can't control which
Sync server you end up talking to.