Self-hosted services.sync.clusterURL being overwritten

Mark Hammond mhammond at mozilla.com
Mon Aug 3 12:02:21 UTC 2015

On 3/08/2015 9:48 PM, Andrew Bunting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Two laptops and one phone using auth.services.mozilla.com accounts
> service and self-hosted FFsync 1.5 server.  Running fine for several
> months until early July 2015.
>
> One laptop and one phone are still syncing perfectly, but now the
> self-hosted sync server URL on the second laptop is being overwritten by
> defaults every time I try to sync.

Every time you perform a "disconnect" or "forget" in the Sync
preference, it does a full self-reset, which resets every preference
starting with "services.sync." to its default value. I suspect this is
happening, but it's not clear why from your description - once the pref
is reset you should then be able to change it and perform a new login
without it being changed.

(Note that in Firefox 42 via bug 1003708, you can also use a preference
"identity.sync.tokenserver.uri" to avoid exactly this problem, but
that's to help in the case where you do explicitly forget/reset rather
than due to a problem on initial signin)

> Interestingly this also generates an e-mail entitled:
>
> "A new device is now syncing to your Firefox Account"
>
> However it is not a new device...

Yeah, we are changing the wording of that email :)

> Any advice as to how to prevent Firefox or Ffsync from resetting to
> defaults?  I tried creating a new account but the behaviour is the same,
> it immediately over-writes my custom URL with a Mozilla default.

As above, it's known to reset after disconnecting a previous account,
but not that it gets reset otherwise.

Mark