[proposal] X-Client-State header for Sync relaunch

Brian Warner warner at mozilla.com
Mon Jan 27 12:24:48 PST 2014

On Jan 27, 2014, at 8:08 AM, Richard Newman <rnewman at mozilla.com> wrote:

> As such, I would imagine that truncation here is fine, no? We're not really worried about collisions.

Truncating a good cryptographic hash function is safe, as long as you're still happy with the remaining length. 16 bytes is enough to avoid accidental collisions until we get to like 2^64 users, at which point we'll have bigger problems to worry about, like the storage servers collapsing into a black hole.

>> * We don't want to give an oracle to testing kB, but we pretty much have to in order for clients to get the comparison they need.  We're not going to do a zero-knowledge proof here.

kB is full-size and random. Yeah, an oracle lets someone do offline guesses, but they'll need 2^256-ish guesses to succeed. So no worries there either.

Mahalo,
 -Brian