FxA timelines and you

Fernando Jiménez Moreno ferjmoreno at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 10:28:12 PDT 2013

On 18/10/2013, at 19:13, Fabrice Desré <fabrice at mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 10/18/2013 10:12 AM, Fernando Jiménez Moreno wrote:
>
>>> If you want to go fast, I would do gecko --mozChromeEvent--> system app
>>> --IAC--> settings|ftu
>>>

>> If by fast you mean better performance (and not faster development), I don't think this path is faster than the one I proposed, which is a direct communication Gecko <-> Settings|Ftu.
>
> I meant faster developement, slightly easier iteration, and also we
> won't add another dom api. Do you think performance of the binding is
> critical here?

Indeed. This would mean faster development.

Apart from the performance win, which I won't say it's critical but desirable (we all want fast sign-up an sign-in processes), there are still the reasons that I mentioned before about getting rid of the IAC API dependency (with no MessagePort instances required and the other related wins) and the duplication of jwcrypto.

I could see this solution as an intermediate step between [1] and my current proposal. Note that this would mean adding jwcrypto (maybe we can expose it or use the one in Gecko though) and a hopefully lighter version of picl-gherkin. Do you think that would be an acceptable solution?

Cheers!

[1] https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0Az-aXpSyQJZ2xCdWRwWTNoRDQ/edit?usp=sharing&pli=1