Firefox Accounts on Firefox OS

Mark Mayo mmayo at mozilla.com
Thu Oct 17 12:39:21 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM, JR Conlin <jrconlin at mozilla.com> wrote:

> I'm also a bit curious about this, but for potentially different
> reasons. Feel free to tell me shut up if I'm wildly off base.
>
> What sort of information will we be holding for users of Firefox Accounts?

Firefox Accounts != Persona.  FxA does use BrowserID protocols (as does
Persona, but they're both free to evolve in different directions). Yes, FxA
will hold PII (email address, could be usernames, etc), initially whatever
we need for Sync to work (it's the first attached service). In the future
whatever we need to deliver great services to users. Worth noting that the
MVP and initial milestone (i.e. anything we're planning to build at the
moment) does not include the end user using their FxA for "login to
arbitrary website". It also does not include logging into Firefox with an
existing "Persona Account" (which isn't even a thing). Users will have to
create Firefox Accounts.

We nail our own product experiences first before trying to solve the much
larger problem for FxA. I hope this is clear?

-Mark