FxA timelines and you

Lloyd Hilaiel lloyd at mozilla.com
Thu Oct 17 05:34:11 PDT 2013

On Oct 17, 2013, at 7:28 AM, Fabrice Desré <fabrice at mozilla.com> wrote:

> The nav.id implementation is "kind of" remoted, in the sense that it
> works oop, but it relies on the security UI in b2g that spawns a new
> process to load network resources. That's very suboptimal, and in no way
> can we add yet another process for FxA (eg.
> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0Az-aXpSyQJZ2xCdWRwWTNoRDQ/edit?usp=sharing&pli=1
> looks very nice, but will likely not work well). This thing will blow up
> with no rescue team on target devices currently deployed.
>
> The way forward is to move back into the platform as much as code as
> possible, deal with protocol changes in a backward compatible way and
> burn the tree once in a while like we all do ;)

What you describe here is basically the current plan.  Give those documents another read, please!

One point to clarify though, we are proposing running FxA code in a distinct built-in certified app.  That would be executed in a separate process and would have a limited lifetime.  Do you think this is a problem?  Do you think we should be building firefox accounts logic directly into the system app?

lloyd