FxA timelines and you

Fabrice Desré fabrice at mozilla.com
Wed Oct 16 21:28:55 PDT 2013

The nav.id implementation is "kind of" remoted, in the sense that it
works oop, but it relies on the security UI in b2g that spawns a new
process to load network resources. That's very suboptimal, and in no way
can we add yet another process for FxA (eg.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0Az-aXpSyQJZ2xCdWRwWTNoRDQ/edit?usp=sharing&pli=1
looks very nice, but will likely not work well). This thing will blow up
with no rescue team on target devices currently deployed.

The way forward is to move back into the platform as much as code as
possible, deal with protocol changes in a backward compatible way and
burn the tree once in a while like we all do ;)

Oh, and you still have almost two months. That's a lot in b2g land!

	Fabrice

On 10/16/2013 07:04 PM, Doug Turner wrote:
> Have you guys figured out how FxA is going to work between processes?
> That is, suppose the FTU sets up a user.  Now, I run my application and
> I call navigator.id <http://navigator.id>.  What happens?  Am I going to
> be hitting the network, or are you going to save this info in the parent
> process and just share it with the application?
>
> // Doug Turner
>

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Jared Hirsch <6a68 at mozilla.com
> <mailto:6a68 at mozilla.com>> wrote:
>
>     TL;DR - If you want to help danny and rfk, you should really
>     consider doing it right away.
>
>     Hey all,
>
>     Here are some things I've learned from chatting with Rob Lord in #picl:
>
>     * FXOS 1.3 is feature complete Dec 9, to be released in March
>     * As of now, FxA is scheduled to be code complete & riding that train.
>     * As of now, I think UX is working on mocks/flows, but I don't think
>     they have clarity yet on the final feature set or any of the
>     interactions.
>     * Next week (Oct 21-25) there is a Madrid work week, in which
>     FxA-Persona integration details will be worked out. Jed and Lloyd
>     (and others?) will be there.
>
>     Any of these things may be incorrect now, or become inaccurate in
>     the immediate future. But, thought I'd share what I've learned, to
>     try to give signin folks a sense of the ludicrous speed at which FxA
>     needs to build. Signin devs, if you want to lend a hand, it's
>     probably a good idea to do it soon (just some friendly advice).
>
>     Sync devs, CCing you to be ridiculously overcommunicative, also in
>     case timelines have changed in the past 24 hours, you can correct me
>     here ;-)
>
>     Yours in well-intentioned mailing list overloading,
>
>     Jared

Fabrice Desré
b2g team
Mozilla Corporation