Firefox OS App Accounts Managed By Firefox Accounts

Chris Karlof ckarlof at mozilla.com
Fri Oct 11 14:00:08 PDT 2013

Hi Gareth,

I think that Richard sums it up pretty well here.

It sounds like what you need most is a client side architecture and API on Firefox OS for apps to interact with 3rd party service providers in a coordinated and structured manner. Something that smells a little like this:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebAPI/DataStore

with maybe a hint of this (on Android):

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/accounts/AccountManager.html

I agree that is an important feature, and support for it is probably something we'll need to add to FirefoxOS to support Firefox Accounts. Firefox Accounts will be one of many account providers that should be available on FirefoxOS.

> Arguably one of the more useful services we could build on top is account management: when you've signed in with your Firefox Account on a device, it would be great to have access to some set of descriptors of other services, along with credentials (above and beyond what password sync provides). That is: having access to your Firefox Account would give access to other things that don't directly use your Firefox Account for auth.

I agree. If you have set of accounts that you've added to your Firefox OS phone (e.g., Gmail and Zimbra), then Mozilla could offer a service backed by your Firefox Account to sync these set of credentials to all your devices.

-chris