Firefox Accounts on Firefox OS

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Thu Oct 10 03:56:56 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Lloyd Hilaiel <lloyd at mozilla.com> wrote:
> https://id.etherpad.mozilla.org/fxa-on-fxos
>
> Curious to hear thoughts and constructive criticism.

Trying to make sense of this, after reading three times, but still
struggling a bit.

For the FTU experience, step 4, is that "normal" Persona
authentication + provisioning?

For applications where FxA is the only way to sign in: why is FxA
required for WheresMyFox and Marketplace? For WMF, I presume it's
because you need to access a cloud service to wipe/find your device,
but I don't really see the need for more than authentication. For
Marketplace, is it because we're syncing application ownership data?
Again, do we need more than authentication?

I guess what I really don't understand is what FxA provides beyond
secure storage. I thought FxA was email address + password (which is
being challenged, I think, which is a good thing in my book, in favor
of first time authn through Persona?) + key storage (stretched from
password) + sync content storage. It seems like it's now being used in
a much wider context ("Cloud Services"!), but it's very unclear to me
what it's actually providing in that context.

Cheers,

Dirkjan