11.08.13 Engineering Progress Report for Firefox Accounts and Sync.next

Lloyd Hilaiel lhilaiel at mozilla.com
Tue Nov 12 03:34:05 PST 2013

Weekly thanks here, weekly fist-pumping inline.

On Nov 9, 2013, at 2:04 AM, Chris Karlof <ckarlof at mozilla.com> wrote:

> Firefox Accounts wiki: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Identity/FirefoxAccounts
> Sync.next wiki: https://wiki.mozilla.org/User_Services/Sync
> IRC: #fxa
>
> Firefox Accounts Cloud Services and Client libraries (Danny Coates, Ryan Kelly, Zach Carter, Vlad Filippov, Andy Chilton)
> - Repo rename happening next week to be more fxa-centric and more descriptive
>   - picl-idp -> fxa-auth-server
>   - firefox-account-bridge -> fxa-content-server
>   - gherkin -> fxa-js-client
>   - scrypt-helper -> fxa-scrypt-helper

Yay!  *thank you*

> - /raw_password API will likely be used to support initial FxOS efforts. See discussion here: https://github.com/mozilla/picl-idp/blob/master/docs/api.md#raw_password-discussion
> - NEW: Roadmap: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Identity/Roadmap
> - NEW: FxA metrics plan: https://id.etherpad.mozilla.org/fxacct-metrics

Can we break this plan into milestones?  Guessing an absurdly minimalistic first set of milestones could help ensure that we have something in place in time for Dec. 9th.  Specifically, telemetry reporting from the phone must be solidified by this date.  If it’s too soon, C'est la vie, but it would be incredibly useful to have *some* visibility into how FxA performs on device in the market.

> - Andy now focused on MySQL work in FxA Auth Server. Initial work:
>   - https://github.com/mozilla/picl-idp/pull/273
>   - https://github.com/mozilla/picl-idp/issues/260
> - Better input validation of cert signing: https://github.com/mozilla/picl-idp/pull/283
> - Added initial Sauce lab testing of fxa-js-client: https://github.com/mozilla/gherkin/pull/9
> - Massive refactor to make token handling on FxA Auth Server more consistent: https://github.com/mozilla/picl-idp/pull/276
> - "FxA existence privacy" issue reopened at the request of rfreely: https://github.com/mozilla/picl-idp/issues/134
> - Next steps: continue to work with UX on final UI for flows, continue work on Gherkin, continue to work on Q4 production ready goals for FxA Cloud Services
>
> Android (Nick Alexander, Richard Newman)
> - no update; Nick has been working on Fennec build stuff and resume FxA work soon
>
> Desktop (Chris Karlof, Brian Warner, Mark Hammond, Tim Taubert)
> - "more native" FxAccounts.jsm and FxAccountsClient.jsm patch being constructed to land next week
>   - migrates key fetching, email verification, public key generator, and assertion generator to browser code
>   - includes FxAccount API client
>   - https://github.com/warner/mozilla-central/tree/warnerhack
>   - supports both FxA Desktop and FxOS efforts

<3

> - Next steps: Continue getting more tests working with the code from the work week, continue to land FxA common code in m-c
>
> FxOS (Jed Parsons, Zach Carter, Sam Penrose, Shane Tomlinson)
> - Amazing Gaia UI consolidation
> - More amazing Gaia system work; ready to test
> - Big push on Firefox Accounts system patches; lots of help from ckarlof and warner
> - Gecko core identity patches about ready to integrate with FXA
> - Targeting our first integration build for next Thursday
> Task breakdown:
> - [borja, shane, olav, sergi] Consolidated all UI flows into System app
>    Branch: https://github.com/borjasalguero/gaia/tree/fxa_proposal_complete (
> - [jedp] Conform native jwcrypto API to the spec; needs r (bug 936146)

Please work with francois, dan, and sean here.  Dan last night realized that work is in progress to land code that creates assertions in a device that we cannot meaningfully update for a significant period of time.  That caused him to have a slight panic attack (on his vacation, no less!).

Goal: we should determine if there are any small high value tweaks we can make to data formats, especially those that give us future flexibility to make changes, or make it significantly easier to work with the formats.

The decision to bake code into FirefoxOS was right, but now we are in a position of deadline driven standards development.  Let’s at least raise awareness of this.

> - [warner, zaach, sam, ckarlof: Generalized services/fxaccounts work for use in b2g; Generating m-c patch now
>    bugs 935234, 935242, 935232
> - [ferjm] Completed core gaia System components (bug 929388)
>    Includes borja's branch: https://github.com/ferjm/gaia
> - [ferjm, francisco] Implementing UI glue to abstract out FXA UI from Identity components
>    Architecture: https://github.com/jedp/fxa-fxos/blob/master/img/architecture.png
>    Patches in progress (bug 929386)
> - [jgruen] updates to flows; animations demonstrating flows
>    https://wiki.mozilla.org/Identity/UX#FirefoxOS
> - [jgruen] collab with dougt on wheresmyfox UX
> - [jedp] Demo and overview of FXA at FirefoxOS work-week; demos from our team
>    Slides: https://github.com/jedp/fxa-fxos/blob/master/slides.md
>    FTE Gaia demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjSUN7SAEmw
>    Gruen's animation: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9tfzlxpg2khgr4q/FxA%20Animation.m4v

/me applause for jgruen’s keynote prowess.

> - [rfeeley] review and mapping of flows, focus on unhappy paths; collab with marketplace UX
> - [spenrose] Comprehensive summary of dependencies
>    https://github.com/SamPenrose/fxa-fxos/blob/master/dependencies.md

/me applause for spenrose’ PM power.

lloyd