Support Report for week of April 18th 2010

Cheng Wang cww at mozilla.com
Tue Apr 27 16:58:46 PDT 2010

Summary

Like last week, this week went by without many new Firefox issues or new problems but with an increase in certain problems we've been seeing for a while.

Hot issues (Summarized from 500+ forum posts and 300+ live chat support sessions)

    • While popups and popunders are not a new problem with Firefox, we saw an increase in the number of reports of these issues (~25 reports this week). From the few reports that mentioned specifics, a common complaint were sites that popped up a warning about a fake virus to try to drive installation of real malware.
    • There was an increase in the number of users saying that Farmville and related Facebook games (Youville, Farmtown, Mafia Wars) is crashing the browser (~30 users this week up from about 5-6 usually).
    • There were also a few mentions (7) of the search redirection that we started seeing last week: searchdirect.com which redirected address bar searches.
The top articles people are clicking on after they search (Offers an indication of what people think they are looking for)

    • How to set the home page
    • Enabling and disabling cookies
    • How to clear the cache
    • Pop-up blocker
    • Deleting cookies

Frequent search terms (High relative to previous two months)

    • media player
    • ssl protocol
    • remove plugin
    • farmville
    • error console
    • privacy
    • the connection was reset
    • facebook.com

Traffic

    • 4,816,648 unique visitors ( -0.2% )
    • 1,794 new forum threads ( +0.2% )
Community participation

    • 72 active community members
    • 94 edited knowledge base articles
    • 39.4% of forum threads from last week with a helpful response

SUMO gets a lot of traffic every week from users. This newsletter is a weekly summary of this traffic, looking at the users' feedback. If you'd like to discuss any of the information in this newsletter or provide feedback, just email sumo-team at mozilla.com