Support report for week of April 11, 2010

Cheng Wang cww at mozilla.com
Tue Apr 20 23:20:16 PDT 2010

SUMO gets a lot of traffic every week from users. This newsletter is a weekly summary of this traffic, looking at the users' feedback. If you'd like to discuss any of the information in this newsletter or provide feedback, just email sumo-team at mozilla.com . You can also read the archives of this report .

This week, our traffic numbers dropped and we solved the number one issue from last week.

TOP ISSUES:
This is summarized from reading through 800+ forum posts and 300+ Live Chat support requests.

* The top issue last week was AVG Toolbar extension spiking Firefox resource usage. This was being tracked in bug 556332 . While no progress has been noted in the bug, the number of reports of this have dropped steeply to only 5 reports where we could confirm AVG was the cause. Either an update was pushed to the AVG toolbar or users found the knowledge base article on this topic.
* We are also seeing fewer reports (~10 new ones) of the issue with Hotmail replies and forwards not including the message body ( bug 538892 ) . We added a knowledge base article on this topic as well.
* In terms of new issues: We're seeing a number (~12 reports) of an ad on foxnews.com breaking links on that page and displaying as code. This has been filed as bug 560737 .
* An upcoming issue: While we see ISPs, DNS servers, or extensions do search redirecting, we're seeing a few (~5) people with a redirect to somewhere we haven't seen before: searchresultsdirect.com. Based on the about:support information we've gotten, this doesn't appear to be an extension or a modified about:config preference.

The top articles people are clicking on after they search are : (This offers an indication of what people think they are looking for).

How to set the home page
Enabling and disabling cookies
Pop-up blocker
How to clear the cache
Using themes with Firefox

Frequent search terms (unusually high relative to previous two months).
There are fewer terms here because few search terms stood out over the norm, this week.

media player
privacy
error console

TRAFFIC METRICS
Total unique visitors : 4,828,466 (-1.0%)
Total new forum threads : 1,791 (-20.0%)

PARTICIPATION METRICS
Number of active community members : 65
Number of knowledge base articles that were edited : 108
% of forum threads from last week that got a helpful response : 43.2%