[server] demoapp status

JR Conlin jconlin at mozilla.com
Mon Oct 10 11:38:42 PDT 2011

On 10/10/2011 11:31 AM, Tarek Ziade wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 08:20 PM, Toby Elliott wrote:
>> I don't trust them :)
> Who are "them" ?  I think we have two targets: developers that work
> with the product and people that just want to run a sync server for
> instance.
>
> For the latter, ideally, they don't even want to checkout a repo.
> They'd need an installer.
>
> For the developers, I'd trust them.
Yeah, I wouldn't trust them. The problem is that people often have
different views of their capabilities than we would. If we created a
system that exposed people's systems in some manner, I don't think a lot
of journalists and hack notification sites would take the time to point
out the problem.

We shouldn't strip the feature, but we should make it a non-significant
level of effort to activate it. (e.g. uncomment values in the config
with appropriate warranty voiding warnings.)

>> I would prefer to have this option disabled everywhere. If we need
>> the debug page (and, obviously, we will), we should enable it
>> explicitly in our own installs.
> Pyramid's default is to activate debug options by default in
> developement.ini, so we'd need to remove all of this.
>
> But I am still unsure who you put behind "them" and "we" here

Them = anyone without intimate familiarity with Pyramid and Mozilla
Service Library. (Yes, I'd include Mozilla employees in that group)

We = the folks who can keep shoemakers from losing half their profits.

> Cheers
> Tarek
>

>> Toby

Gimpy