Two questions about Firefox Sync encryption

jim_jr at mimlitsch.com jim_jr at mimlitsch.com
Tue Jun 28 13:02:00 PDT 2011

I have been working on a client in PHP using mcrypt by following in the
footsteps of Mike Rowehl.  I've been able to get the decryption working, but I
have two questions about encryption:

1. When I decrypt a payload there is a byte of extra data at the end.  I can
ignore it when I decrypt, but do I need to replicate it when I encrypt?  If so
how?

2. The WBOs include the ciphertext, the IV and an HMAC.  How do I generate the
HMAC that goes with the IV and ciphertext that I've encrypted?

Thanks!

Jim