[rust-dev] Crosscompiling rust with non-blessed compiler prefixes

Riad S. Wahby rsw at jfet.org
Thu Oct 16 14:02:47 PDT 2014

Cody P Schafer <dev at codyps.com> wrote:
> I'm not seeing the purpose of building multiple llvms. Can't llvm be
> built for multiple targets at once?

Oh, sure, maybe. Perhaps "necessary steps" was an overclaim.
"Sufficient steps," then.

If you build LLVM for multiple targets at once, I have no idea what
the directory structure ends up looking like, and so all of the parts
where I'm repairing paths in the build system are probably wrong-ish.

(But since the target version of LLVM doesn't change very frequently,
even if you end up spending extra time compiling, you can amortize it
over your future rust builds.)

-=rsw