[rust-dev] Work week minutes and upcoming RFCs

Gábor Lehel glaebhoerl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 12:26:56 PDT 2014

"Disallow taking the address of a non-mut static value unless it is Freeze"

Can someone explain why this is necessary?

    static FOO: Option<Cell<int>> = None;
    let foo = &FOO;

Why would this be a problem? Or is this not what's being referred to?

Actually... given that you can't move out of a static, and all
functions/methods are either by value (moves) or by ref (takes address),
this means the only way you could interact with a non-Freeze static _at
all_ is if it were Pod/Copy. But Pod/Copy types are never non-Freeze. So...
I'm confused.