[rust-dev] About RFC: "A 30 minute introduction to Rust"

comex comexk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 23:29:43 PST 2014

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 1:38 AM, Patrick Walton <pwalton at mozilla.com> wrote:
> Optimization of null pointer dereferences has resulted in security
> vulnerabilities in the Linux kernel:

That was not a case where the load was actually optimized away, only a
check following the load.  In standard userland as well as modern Linux
(mmap_min_addr), that would crash.

Responsible is debatable; I am just saying that I have never heard of
it affecting a real program.  (Less anecdotal evidence:
-fno-delete-null-pointer-checks exists in GCC and probably has no
performance effect on the vast majority of code, but I have not heard
of it being recommended and it has not been implemented in Clang.)
Since things like use-after-free, buffer overruns, missing locks, etc.
constantly affect real programs, I wouldn't focus on it too much.