[rust-dev] Compiling Rust apps with Meson v2

Jussi Pakkanen jpakkane at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 03:55:57 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Robert Knight <robertknight at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks. meson looks like CMake with a somewhat more sane build config
> language. Not directly related to Rust, but what is the tooling story
> like with Qt Creator - eg. has any work been done on teaching Qt
> Creator to understand meson projects?

One of my design principles has been "like CMake but with a saner syntax"
so I'm glad it's showing through. :)

I did have some discussion with Qt Creator guys and as a result made Meson
extremely easy to embed into any IDE, not just QtCreator. Here's the
documentation on that:

https://github.com/jpakkane/meson/wiki/IDE%20integration

Unfortunately the QtC guys are very busy and did not have time to create
the integration bits.

To tie this into Rust, if someone wants to create a Rust IDE with build
system integration (compile, unit tests, debugging said unit tests etc) and
they already have an editor component, integrating Meson is just a matter
of parsing a few simple JSON documents.