[rust-dev] [ANN] Initial Alpha of Cargo

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 12:21:48 PDT 2014

On 24/06/14 03:06 PM, Erick Tryzelaar wrote:
> I've been (very slowly) working on a pure rust build system
> (https://github.com/erickt/rbuild) that we might be able to someday use
> to do complex builds without needing other external language or build
> system.

Well, +1 for that because it's very cool. However, I don't see a problem
with depending on tooling like `make` in a portable library.

In my opinion, the only sane way to do Rust development on Windows is
via msys2. You get a sane development environment with a reasonable
terminal and shell, along with a nice package manager for updating the
whole thing along with installing / upgrading many libraries / tools
from the msys2 repositories. It also makes it trivial to install tools
like gdb, make, sed or python.

Otherwise, you'll have the hopeless struggle of manually building
tooling / libraries and dealing with upgrades / rebuilds yourself rather
than through a package manager.

The important part is for the produced binaries to be standalone, and
mingw-w64 provides that. The only major weakness is the lack of
compatibility with Windows C++ headers and the C++ ABI, although there
is ongoing work towards providing that. Rust can't call into C++
directly anyway, so it's not an enormous obstacle.