[rust-dev] Integer overflow, round -2147483648

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 11:51:41 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Daniel Micay <danielmicay at gmail.com> wrote:
> A language full of implementation defined behaviour and language
> dialects via compiler switches has no place in 2014.

This seems to be getting a by high spirited here.

Am I supposted to respond in kind? "A language where common idiomatic
code cannot express where integer overflow is correct or incorrect has
no place in 2014. Even C does better than this."

I don't really think such dramatic language is helpful. There are real
tradeoffs in this space and some of them are mutually exclusive.
Different people for rational reasons prioritize different criteria
over each other, that doesn't make anyone wrong. There is no need to
'win' an argument, or even argue at all. Presumably everyone can hear
ideas and preferences in this space without the discussion getting
that intense.