[rust-dev] Integer overflow, round -2147483648

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 20:46:02 PDT 2014

On 22/06/14 08:25 PM, Jerry Morrison wrote:

> The post also links to Wikipedia on Intel MPX
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_MPX>: Intel is adding x86 extensions
> to aid memory safety! I think it's for array bounds checking, but the
> article is unclear.

It's for faster (but not free) array bounds checking. I don't think Rust
will be able to use it because it unwinds on out-of-bounds rather than
aborting, and it will be difficult to turn the OS support (perhaps
SIGFPE / SIGSEGV on *nix) into well defined unwinding in LLVM.

> (BTW is there a use for /signed/ wraparound?)

Yes, but it's not as common so C leaves it as undefined for portability
to architectures not using two's complement arithmetic.