[rust-dev] Integer overflow, round -2147483648

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 14:26:47 PDT 2014

On 22/06/14 11:32 AM, Benjamin Striegel wrote:
>> Even though Rust is a performance conscious language (since it aims at
> displacing C and C++), the 80/20 rule still applies and most of Rust
> code should not require absolute speed
>
> This is a mistaken assumption. Systems programming exists on the extreme
> end of the programming spectrum where edge cases are the norm, not the
> exception, and where 80/20 does not apply. If you don't require absolute
> speed, why are you using Rust?

Rust's design is based on the assumption that performance cannot be
achieved simply by having highly optimized inner loops. It takes a whole
program approach to performance by exposing references as first-class
values and enforcing safety via type-checked lifetimes.

You can write an efficient low-level loop in Haskell or Swift, but you
can't build high level safe abstractions without paying a runtime cost.

If someone isn't interested in this approach, then I have a hard time
understanding why they would be using Rust.