[rust-dev] &self/&mut self in traits considered harmful(?)

Cameron Zwarich zwarich at mozilla.com
Sun Jun 22 14:18:13 PDT 2014

On Jun 16, 2014, at 3:19 PM, Patrick Walton <pcwalton at mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 6/16/14 3:17 PM, Cameron Zwarich wrote:
>> I stated the right case, but the wrong reason. It’s not for
>> vectorization, it’s because it’s not easy to reuse the storage of a
>> matrix while multiplying into it.
>
> Wouldn't most matrices be implicitly copyable (and thus optimized--or at least optimizable--into by-ref at the ABI level)?

Sorry for the super-late reply, but if you reuse the same argument multiple times, you will have made multiple copies of it, right? A sufficiently optimizing compiler would probably be able to optimize it if everything is inlined.

However, that also only applies to dense matrices. Sparse matrices are unlikely to be Copy.

Cameron