[rust-dev] On Copy = POD

Nick Cameron lists at ncameron.org
Sat Jun 21 14:15:20 PDT 2014

I am assuming that people will use Rc not out of choice, but when they have
to. We can trust our users to use ownership and references where possible,
after all these are the easiest things to use, and privileged in all the
Rust docs and tutorials. We will still need style guides in Rust and we
will still tell people to prefer ownership to ref counting. We should
assume our users are smart, if they don't understand the trade-offs around
ref counting, then they are going to have much bigger problems writing
systems code than a few extra counter increments.

Ownership does not always work, graphs often appear in programming. When
they do, you have to use Rc or Gc to cope. We shouldn't punish programmers
who have these problems to deal with. Telling them to use ownership is
pointless if your data is not hierarchical. In this situation, we are not
encouraging users to use ownership instead of ref counting, we are
encouraging them to use garbage collection, even when that is not the
optimal solution for their problem.