[rust-dev] Integer overflow, round -2147483648

Gábor Lehel glaebhoerl at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 17:36:43 PDT 2014

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Jerry Morrison <jhm456 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Gábor Lehel <glaebhoerl at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 9:05 AM, Jerry Morrison <jhm456 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Nice analysis!
>>>
>>> Over what scope should programmers pick between Gábor's 3 categories?
>>>
>>> The "wraparound is desired" category should only occur in narrow parts
>>> of code, like computing a hash. That suits a wraparound-operator better
>>> than a wraparound-type, and certainly better than a compiler switch. And it
>>> doesn't make sense for a type like 'int' that doesn't have a fixed size.
>>>

>> I thought hash algorithms were precisely the kind of case where you might
>> opt for types which were clearly defined as wrapping. Why do you think
>> using different operators instead would be preferred?
>>

> Considering a hashing or CRC example, the code reads a bunch of
> non-wraparound values, mashes them together using wraparound arithmetic,
> then uses the result in a way that does not mean to wrap around at the
> integer size.
>
> It's workable to convert inputs to wraparound types and use
> wraparound accumulators, then convert the result to a non-wraparound type.
> But using wraparound operators seems simpler, more visible, and less
> error-prone. E.g. it'd be a mistake if the hash function returned a
> wraparound type, which gets assigned with type inference, and so downstream
> operations wrap around.

Yes, the signature of the hash function shouldn't necessarily expose the
implementation's use of wraparound types... though it's not completely
obvious to me. What kind of downstream operations would it make sense to
perform on a hash value anyway? Anything besides further hashing?

I'm only minimally knowledgeable about hashing algorithms, but I would've
thought that casting the inputs to wraparound types at the outset and then
casting the result back at the end would be *less* error prone than making
sure to use the wraparound version for every operation in the function. Is
that wrong? Are there any operations within the body of the hash function
where overflow should be caught?

And if we'd be going with separate operators instead of separate types,
hash functions are a niche enough use case that, in themselves, I don't
think they *warrant* having distinct symbolic operators for the wraparound
operations; they could just use named methods instead.

Hashing is the one that always comes up, but are there any other instances
where wraparound is the desired semantics?