[rust-dev] Compiling Rust programs with the Meson build system

Jussi Pakkanen jpakkane at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 00:17:19 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 1:21 AM, Corey Richardson <corey at octayn.net> wrote:

> Very cool! Always happy to see tools with Rust support :) As to file
> names, do you know about `rustc --crate-file-name`?

I do but that is not the issue. The output file name can change (as far as
I understood from the docs) whenever you change one of the files that make
up the crate as the file name contains a hash of the API. This does not tie
nicely with Ninja that Meson uses to actually build things as it deals with
explicit file names. Changing an output target file name would mean, in the
naive case, that the Ninja file must be regenerated on every compile, which
is way too slow. Meson is designed to be fast, e.g. no-op builds of 10 000
files must take less than one second.

This is a fixable problem, it just needs some wrappers.