[rust-dev] 7 high priority Rust libraries that need to be written

Dietrich Epp depp at zdome.net
Tue Jun 10 12:04:42 PDT 2014

I’m writing datetime-rs, and I have been reading the JSR-310 source code.  The code is mostly helpful in the sense that it precisely expresses the relationships between concepts, e.g, “to convert an instant to a date you need to choose a calendar”.  Translating the API to Rust would result in an unhappy mess, and the implementation equally so.  So, the JSR-310 API and code is not actually a very good resource. What is a good resource is Stephen Colebourne’s blog and the issue tracker for JSR-310 on GitHub.

So, we may not be copying anything, but neither will we have to forge ahead and discover anything new.

—Dietrich