[rust-dev] how is Rust bootstrapped?

Sanghyeon Seo sh4.seo at samsung.com
Mon Jun 9 05:55:00 PDT 2014

> Do you plan to create a cleaner full-bootstrap process?
> By "cleaner" I mean dividing stage-0 to more [sub-]stages,
> which would be well-defined and documented in terms of
> the set of language features it implements. Currently these
> sub-stages are defined by a team member's mood to instruct
> the build-bots to make a snapshot. This kind of bootstrap
> seems to be a black-box.

As I understand, there is no plan to do this. "Bootstrap" you are talking
about is purely theoretical, and I don't think anyone actually performed it.
In practice, Rust is bootstrapped from the downloaded binary.

> I understand you do not spend resource on such tasks before 1.0,
> but do you think this is a legitimate|sensible request at all?
> Would it be worth the work?

Personally, I don't see any value in doing this work. C compilers are
bootstrapped from C compiler binaries. Analogously, the Rust compiler
is bootstrapped from the Rust compiler binary.

Trying to bootstrap from rustboot would be akin to trying to bootstrap
GCC from last1120c (the oldest C compiler with surviving source code).
An interesting feat of computer archaeology, but not really useful for
anything.

According to http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/primevalC.html
someone actually managed to run last1120c, which is quite cool, I think.