[rust-dev] Generic Database Bindings

Eli Green eli at zigr.org
Sun Jun 8 01:53:06 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

Is there an active project for these database bindings*? There were some good comments at https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/14658 but I don't know if there's a repository or wiki where people can comment on specific designs or requirements.

I'm a rust newbie but have dealt with database access in C, C++, Java, Python and, several lifetimes ago, in Perl, so I'm relatively familiar with the problem space. If nobody else is working on this, I might start an empty repo just to have an open wiki that people can comment on.

Or I could start the discussion here and move off-list when things starts to take shape and get down to the nitty-gritty. There may be people without a particular interest in the library who can still offer insight into a high-level design.

Eli

* I'm avoiding the term SQL here because I don't think there's any good reason to rule out supporting things like Cassandra since their result sets are tabular and should fit in with an API designed for relational databases.