[rust-dev] 7 high priority Rust libraries that need to be written

Chris Morgan me at chrismorgan.info
Thu Jun 5 01:20:48 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 9:01 AM, Brian Anderson <banderson at mozilla.com> wrote:
> # Date/Time (https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/14657)
>
> Our time crate is very minimal, and the API looks dated. This is a hard
> problem and JodaTime seems to be well regarded so let's just copy it.

I suggest that anyone interested in doing this read
https://github.com/mozilla/rust/wiki/Lib-datetime and also, following
on from that, https://github.com/luisbg/rust-datetime and
https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/rust-dev/2013-September/005528.html

> # SQL (https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/14658)
>
> Generic SQL bindings. I'm told SqlAlchemy core is a good system to learn
> from.
This is still an area for significant research. I believe that a
system more similar to LINQ to SQL
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb425822.aspx> than to
SQLAlchemy is appropriate for our language; we have a good type system
and the ability to do fancy compile-time things, so we should be using
it.

Also, incidentally, both of these things are higher-level tools; I
would also like to see an attempt at safe SQL, e.g. `sql!(SELECT bar
FROM foo)`. There are various things that Rust can do in that way,
efficiently and correctly, that other languages can’t, and I’d like to
see it tried out as an approach. The basic idea would be that any SQL
would be permitted there and would be mapped onto type-safe constructs
in Rust, all the way down to producing a struct type for each query
with just the appropriate fields and so on. It might turn out to be a
dud idea in the end, but I think it should be tried.

As an aside, I am intending to post more about my vision for
HTTP/web/SQL in Rust in the coming week which will have a few more
details on these things.