[rust-dev] Place for discussions

Brian Anderson banderson at mozilla.com
Thu Jul 31 15:15:33 PDT 2014

Here's the current state of official project support for various forums:

* discourse.rust-lang.org is for *discussion of the development of Rust
itself*. It is maintained by Mozilla.
* r/rust is for user discussion. It is maintained by the community.
* rust-dev is for user discussion. It is maintained by Mozilla. It used
to be for development discussion but none of the core developers like
working there because the signal-to-noise is awful and it is unmoderatable.
* stackoverflow is ultimately where we want users to go for help.

Discourse is an *experiment* to see if it works better than mailing
lists for having civil conversations. If it works, we may shut off the
mailing list. It's not clear whether we would extend discourse to
general Rust discussion or leave reddit and stackoverflow for that.