[rust-dev] std::num::pow() is inadequate / language concepts

Huon Wilson dbau.pp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 15:55:27 PDT 2014

On 25/07/14 08:46, Gregor Cramer wrote:

> Probably in this case it might be a solution to move pow() into a
> trait, but
>
> I'm speaking about a general problem. Rust 1.0 will be released, and
> someone
>
> is developing a new module for version 1.1. But some of the functions
> in 1.0
>
> are inadequate for the new module, how to solve this without changing
> the API
>
> in 1.1?

1.0 will not stabilise every function in every library; we have precise
stability attributes[1] so that the compiler can warn or error if you
are using functionality that is subject to change. The goal is to have
the entirety of the standard library classified and marked appropriately
for 1.0.

[1]: http://doc.rust-lang.org/master/rust.html#stability

Huon