[rust-dev] Mutable files

David Henningsson diwic at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 21 02:26:10 PDT 2014

On 2014-07-21 06:06, Patrick Walton wrote:
> On 7/20/14 9:04 PM, Patrick Walton wrote:
>> On 7/20/14 8:12 PM, David Henningsson wrote:
>>> Cool, thanks for the answer. These restrictions seem somewhat complex.
>>
>> They are required. Otherwise we would end up with a C++-like situation
>> where copies end up happening too frequently.
>
> Also note that these rules, far from being "complex", end up making the
> language much simpler than C++, as copy (or D-like postblit)
> constructors are not required. All Rust types, if they are copyable at
> all, can be copied by simply moving bits around.

Fair enough. I just guess it takes a while getting used to, that you
sometimes can't use a variable after you've sent it as a parameter to a
function.

Also now having read the RFC for "Opt-in builtin traits" which you
mentioned earlier, I think this RFC makes a lot of sense. Especially the
"API Stability" and "Pedagogy" points would have been helpful here.

// David