[rust-dev] Rust Executable size

Adrian Mercieca amercieca at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 01:07:36 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I am just starting out looking at Rust and am following the tutorial.

I have compiled the sample 'hello world' program (code below - copied from
the tutorial) and compiled it.

I was somewhat taken aback at the size of the executable size for such a
small program.

On my Ubuntu 13.10 machine, the resultant executable was a whopping 1054476
bytes.
I stripped the program and the resultant file was still 806816 bytes.

Why is the executable so large? Is there anything I might be doing wrong?
Perhaps I need to use some compiler switches?

Thanks for any pointers in this regard.

- Adrian.