[rust-dev] Impending change in RPATH behavior when linking to Rust dynamic libraries

David Brown davidb at davidb.org
Thu Jul 10 04:56:46 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 08, 2014 at 03:57:27PM -0700, Brian Anderson wrote:

>So we're turning it off. The previous behavior can be restored by
>passing --rpath to rustc, or re-enabled for the Rust distribution
>itself by passing --enable-rpath to configure.

Is the intent to have this --rpath and especially --enable-rpath
option remain, or are they options to enable what is considered a
deprecated feature?

If it's going to remain around, it seems like adding --enable-rpath
is just the right thing to do when building rust from source (and, for
example, installing it in /usr/local, or /opt).

Is there any reason the nightly binaries shouldn't be built with this
option?

David