[rust-dev] Deprecating rustpkg

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 15:08:37 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Corey Richardson <corey at octayn.net> wrote:

> I find it both useful and pleasant. I can write a lib that uses
>  version X of libA, but have an application using version Y of libA be
> able to link to me. This isn't a problem in Rust because symbol names
> include the version (as well as the hash).

What if the different versions of the library do incompatible things, like:

- Talk incompatible versions of a network protocol
- Serialize data differently
- One contains important security fixes the other does not

etc, etc, etc

Why is having multiple simultaneous versions of a library superior to
toposorting the dependencies and coming up with a combination of versions
that works for all of the project's dependencies?

--
Tony Arcieri