[rust-dev] Deprecating rustpkg

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 14:20:05 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Tim Chevalier <catamorphism at gmail.com>wrote:

> In the interest of documentation (especially for the benefit of
>  whatever person or people end up writing the next package manager),
> can you explain what specific architectural issues in rustpkg preclude
> the addition of (better?) dependency resolution and secure software
> update infrastructure?

rustpkg seems to have quite a few features (which it needs in its current
state, I guess) I would prefer to see in a dependency resolution tool,
including the ability to fetch from multiple different ad-hoc sources and
integration with git repositories. These features do not seem to be
particularly well thought out (e.g. how do we handle versioning?) and the
"package identifier" system strikes me as rather odd.

I would really like to see the "where packages come from" and "what
packages are" concepts decoupled, as well as a clear strategy for how to
handle versioning.

--
Tony Arcieri