[rust-dev] "let mut" <-> "var"

Lee Braiden leebraid at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 09:32:42 PST 2014

On 30/01/14 17:18, Jason Fager wrote:
> 3 extra characters isn't doing anything to stop consenting adults.
>  Nobody's saying get rid of mutable variables, just that it seems like
> a waste of limited resources to figure out how to streamline them when
> in general their use should be limited to where necessary.

I agree with your point 100%.

However, as an aside, the argument FOR that point is one I'd personally
prefer not to use, in language design.  To talk about not considering
something fully because it's a "waste of resources" is to condemn every
future programmer using that feature, to dealing with it themselves --
in other words, to cause virtually INFINITE waste of resources,
especially since they would be relatively powerless to fix it after the
fact.  Language designers need to care deeply, about every single aspect
of the design.  One of the most refreshing things about Rust is how much
the everyone involved DOES care, in general.

That said, I think this particular issue has been fully discussed, and
the current approach is sound, though.

--
Lee