[rust-dev] Futures in Rust

Kevin Ballard kevin at sb.org
Wed Jan 29 16:53:49 PST 2014

On Jan 29, 2014, at 4:16 PM, Vadim <vadimcn at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Kevin Ballard <kevin at sb.org> wrote:
> Any number of things.
>
> The use case here is an interactive protocol where writes go in both directions, and can be initiated in response to external events. The classic example is an IRC bot. The server can send a message at any time, so the IRC bot needs to be constantly reading, but writes back to the socket are not necessarily initiated directly in response to reads, they may be initiated due to asynchronous operations, or keyboard input at the terminal, or any number of other external stimuli.
>
> In this case you'd be waiting on futures from those external events as well.   I am assuming that all of I/O would be future-ized, not just TCP streams.

"external events" does not necessarily mean I/O. It could also mean some asynchronous computation inside the app.

And if you're going to try and claim that this can be represented by futures too in this same scheme, well, it pretty much sounds like you're reinventing the generic Select. Or perhaps I should call it a run loop.

-Kevin