[rust-dev] Moving libcrypto back into rust repo?

Palmer Cox palmercox at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 15:16:08 PST 2014

Hi,

I'm the maintainer of rust-crypto. It originally started as extra::crypto,
buts its grown a few new features since then - AES, RC4, HMAC, and a few
key derivation functions.

Saying that it hasn't been fully audited is really too kind - it hasn't
been audited at all. Documentation is quite thin. And there is no support
for any public key algorithms or TLS. Rust-crypto is a young crypto
library, and maybe one day it will grow into a stable, audited, fully
featured one, but its a long way off from that point. Anyway, rust-crypto
isn't appropriate to be used as a standard library for Rust at this time
and won't be for the foreseeable future.

-Palmer Cox