[rust-dev] Deprecating rustpkg

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 13:50:06 PST 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Jan Niklas Hasse <jhasse at fastmail.fm>wrote:

> I'm very shocked and also very much against removing it. I've just
>  started with Rust a few months ago and actually rustpkg was the thing
> that I liked the most. I know it's buggy and unfinished, but at least
> the idea looked wonderful to me.

Just my 2c: I'd argue the complete opposite.

Package managers are things that are often created quite early in the
lifecycle of a language, and their design mistakes can haunt users of the
language and potentially doom the language itself. Once a package manager
is entrenched, typically there's no turning back, and you are left forever
trying to fix the mess you started with.

Moreover, there's the complex relationships of package managers, dependency
resolvers, and secure software update infrastructures to consider. I think
rustpkg was written in the absence of these considerations. I think
successful packaging/software update systems consider all these problems
up-front, so the MVP is at least future proof when it comes time to
consider things like, say, security.

If we aren't certain that rustpkg is a solid foundation, now is the time to
scrap it and build a better one. Otherwise we'll be stuck with it forever.

--
Tony Arcieri