[rust-dev] rustpkg error: "Package ____ depends on ____, but I don't know how to find it"

Matthew Thompson matthewbot at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 13:16:50 PST 2014

This means your project did not compile but rustpkg ate the compiler output
for some reason. For me, the compiler failure was because rustpkg build and
rustpkg install were silently failing (actually, falsely succeeding!) to
move build artifacts around that had explicit crate_id's in their lib.rs.
You see rustpkg claims to have installed portmidi#0.0, but likely it has a
crate_id other than 0.0 on it, which causes rustpkg to fail to move it.
When you run build and install, and when you refer to crates with extern
mod, you have to include the pound sign and proper crate id for it to work.
You can verify rustpkg build and install are functioning by looking inside
lib for libraries and bin for binaries. I'm probably switching away from
rustpkg too, as it's always a guessing game with poor error reporting and
documentation. cargo-lite does everything my project needs, but writing
Makefiles is so easy for rust because of its simple build model that I
don't see many downsides to simply doing that.

>>> https://travis-ci.org/eholk/rust-opencl/builds/17491630
>>> https://travis-ci.org/erickt/rust-zmq/builds/16353359
>>> https://travis-ci.org/erickt/rust-mustache/builds/16059551
>>> https://travis-ci.org/bjz/gl-rs/builds/16126945