[rust-dev] Deprecating rustpkg

Lee Braiden leebraid at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 01:33:29 PST 2014

On 28/01/14 08:36, György Andrasek wrote:
> I never quite understood the problem `rustpkg` was meant to solve. For
> building Rust code, `rustc --out-dir build` is good enough. For
> running tests and benchmarks, `rustc` is good enough. For downloading
> things, I still need to feed it a github address, which kinda takes
> away any value it could have over `git clone` or git submodules.
>
> What I would actually need from a build system, i.e. finding
> {C,C++,Rust} libraries, building {C,C++,Rust} libraries/executables
> and linking them to said {C,C++,Rust} libraries, it doesn't do. It
> also doesn't bootstrap rustc.

I agree with this.  What I'd want is much more like apt (add
repositories, update lists of available packages from those
repositories, manage priorities between repositories, say that one
repository should be preferred over another for a particular package,
working in specific prefixes (/usr/local, /usr, /,
~/Projects/something-requiring-old-libs), but rust-specific and platform
independent.

--
Lee